CNCat 4.3.3 User Manual
The section Categories is intended for modification of the web directory categories.
The section presents a table containing names of the web directory categories and subcategories, the number of links/articles (within the whole category/within subcategories), paths (used on the web directory pages URL) and sorting order:
Web Directory Categories
To view a category or a subcategory, you should click on its name.
You can create, edit, and delete categories, subcategories, and cross-categories by means of corresponding icons located next to each category name in the table.
To create a category, you should click on the icon in a row of the corresponding parent category. The Main category is a parent for all categories of the first level. You cannot add links to the Main category.
Creating Child Category
You should specify the following parameters and options in the form:
- the category name (mandatory);
- path to the category file (mandatory);
- sorting order for display in the web directory;
- the web directory description;
- values of META-tags ‘keywords’ and ‘description’;
- an image for the category;
- the way entries will be sorted in the category (by popularity, date, name etc.);
- disable/enable adding entries to the category;
- disable/enable adding entries to the child category;
- disable/enable displaying the current category in the categories list.
To complete the addition, click the Add button.
Provided that all data have been entered correctly, the category will be added to the list.
Note 1. The path to the category is used in ‘user-friendly’ addresses of the web directory pages (see Links style).
Note 2. The level of categories nesting is unlimited, provided that ‘Common’ links style is used. Upon using other styles maximum nesting level is limited by maximum URL length (it may vary, depending on a browser and a web-server; it is recommended not to exceed 1000 symbols).
To edit a category/subcategory, you should select its name in the table and click on the icon in the corresponding row: editing form will be displayed on the screen:
Editing algorithm is equal to adding, except for the following options:
- to change a parent category, you should mark the corresponding option and select the required category in the list;
- to delete an image (if any), check the corresponding option;
- to move and/or delete groups of the category elements (including child categories), you should check the corresponding options in the required groups of fields.
A cross-category is a subject link to a real category. To add a cross-category, you should select the category, to which a cross-category should be added, and click on the icon in its row: As a result the adding form will be displayed on the screen:
You should specify the following parameters in this form:
- the cross-category name (mandatory);
- sorting order;
- a category, to which the cross-category will refer (mandatory);
- description of the cross-category;
- a picture for the cross-category;
- the way entries will be ordered in the category (by name, popularity, date etc.)
To complete the adding, click the Add button.
Provided that all data have been entered correctly, the cross-category will be added to the list.
A cross-category is marked with the symbol @ in the web directory.
To delete a category/subcategory, you should select it in the list and click on the icon . You can delete only an empty category/subcategory, which does not contain links. To delete a non-empty category, you should first delete all its elements or move them to other category.